I’ve been browsing Pinterest again. This time I found an easy birdseed feeder that my girl and I could make together.
The recipe I used calls for:
- 3/4 cup birdseed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small envelope of knox gelatin (I used sure-gel. Pectin, gelatin; it’s all the same thing)
- twine or string
- cookie cutters, molds, or mason jar lids
- wax paper
Cook the gelatin or pectin on the stove with the 1/4 cup of water until dissolved.
Let cool a little and then mix in birdseed. (If you are prepping for younger kids, it’s best to mix birdseed and gelatin/pectin in a separate bowl. You don’t want them touching the hot pot by accident.)
- Set your cookie molds on the wax paper.
- Spoon birdseed mix into molds filling them half full.
- Tie your string into a loop
- Set loop into cookie molds
- Cover loop with more birdseed.
- Let feeders dry overnight.
- Flip over a couple of times as it dries.
- Hang for birds to enjoy.
I would recommend doubling this recipe. 3/4 cups of birdseed doesn’t make a lot of feeders especially if your cookie cutters are deep like my gingerbread man. This was a fun and easy project for my girl.