One of the final steps in Hannah’s room has been to add curtains. I wanted something different and homemade (actually a friend recently told me to always say ‘handmade’ vs ‘homemade’ because homemade makes it sound like your two-year-old did it).
Anyway, I found this idea on Pinterest, where you use the end of a bunch of celery to stamp paper, and I thought, hey why not try it on fabric?
I originally wanted something super lightweight and flowy to use as curtains, like maybe muslin, but when I talked to the lady at the fabric store, she said that the paint would bleed through the weave too much, and I would lose the shape of the stamp. So she helped me pick out simple white cotton that was super cheap.
To start, I unrolled some painter’s plastic and then laid my fabric on top. Actually, the very first thing I did was send the kids to their grandparents for the night. This was not a project I could pull off with them around.
I chopped my celery about 3 inches from the bottom, where I thought it would make a good floral pattern.
I used a disposable casserole pan for my paint. I started with some of the same paint I used on Hannah’s dresser and shelf, and then added water and mixed it to a fairly thin consistency. At first, I tried dipping the celery into the pan of paint, but that made it super drippy, so instead, I grabbed a foam brush and wiped the paint on.
With no pattern in mind, I just started stamping. I usually got two good stamps out of one paint job.
The idea is to have it look playful and whimsical.
One tip I have is to have some paper on hand at the very beginning to test a few times. This way you know how much paint you’ll want to use, and you will soak up all of that celery juice before you stamp your fabric. Oops:
It’s ok, it was right at the top so I just folded it over for the hem. After hemming the bottom and sewing a pocket at the top to hang them on, I ran out and bought an oil rubbed bronze rod. There was not a white rod to be found anywhere ( I have found this to be true many times before. Where have all the white rods gone ), so I went with the ORB, because it fit in better than black or shiny brass.
If it’s possible, I like to hang curtains as close to the ceiling as I can. It gives the illusion that the window is bigger.
These home handmade curtains finish off this wall so well. It’s the first thing you see when you walk into Hannah’s room, and they make me smile.
I have to thank my husband who calmly took the drill away from me when I attempted to hang the rod myself, and instead left a huge hole in the drywall and threw a tantrum like a 2-year-old when I couldn’t do it. If he hadn’t been there, this project would be bunched up in an angry ball at the bottom of the garbage can.