The other day while putting some final touches on the fireplace mantel, I realized I had never hung stockings on a mantel before. Our Christmas stockings usually hung from nails or thumbtacks in the wall. At our last house, we did hang our stocking over the fireplace, but there was no mantel. It was tile and wall above.
For those who do not know, my husband and I built the fireplace mantel in October. Needless to say, it has been exciting to decorate the fireplace mantel for Christmas. Here is the fireplace mantel all ready for some Christmas festivities!
Christmas Mantel – Day
Here is a close-up shot of the mantel.
Christmas Mantel – Close up
Because I always enjoy reading about how other bloggers achieve their decorating style, here is a list of what I used and where it was purchased.
- Mirror – Hobby Lobby (purchased a few months ago).
- Mantel sled with deer – Hobby Lobby.
- Pine cones in mantel sled – From yard.
- Candle Holders – Made from table legs I found at a garage sale.
- Red Candles – Walmart (unscented).
- Garland with lights – Local thrift store.
- Cranberry Berries – Michaels.
- Stockings – Michaels.
- The Letter C – Hobby Lobby (it was gold and I spray painted it claret wine, by Rustoleum).
- Believe sign – Michaels (was unfinished wood. Spray painted it 24kt gold, by Design Masters).
- Trees on mantel – Local thrift Store (they were a blotchy gold and I spray painted them in 24kt gold, by Design Masters).
Trees – Before and After
- Stocking Holders – Thrift store (they were brass and I spray painted them claret wine, by Rustoleum)
- Red sled – Local thrift store (it was 50% off day and I painted the sled claret wine, by Rustoleum).
- Christmas Novel – Barnes and Noble (we have had this book for a few years).
- Snow Balls – Styrofoam balls covered with epsom salt.
- Snow Reindeer – Michaels (please see, Paper Mache Snow Reindeer post).
While I like the daylight images of the mantel, my favorite photos are of the mantel at night. My husband insisted we sit down in front of the fireplace and sip on some hot chocolate, while listening to some Christmas music.?? Joy!
Christmas Mantel – Night
I really like the two snow reindeer poised with their sled of snowballs and a Christmas novel. By the way, I had to keep telling my son to stop riding the reindeer! lol Luckily, their backs did not break. Crazy kid. Ironically, it was not until I was almost done decorating, that I realized that the initial C could also stand for Claus.
Here are my husband’s favorite photos and a sneak peek of the Christmas tree.
Christmas Mantel with Tree – Night
What do you think? How is everyone’s holiday decorating coming along? I really enjoy seeing everyone’s decorating style. Have a fantastic weekend, check out your local thrift store and use those discount coupons!